Welcome to your Source for Odd and Usual but Practical Information!

Homestead sells for much less due to hoarding issues.

 PENDING... 



I’m the executor selling the homestead I grew up on; less acreage now as over the years Dad sold all but 75 acres. I’m currently in the process of selling it but there is one major issue; by two brothers who lived there for the past 20 years or so until Mom died last year never saw a “Free sign” they did not like. The result is about 5 of the acres is covered with junk trailers and debris of all sorts.

I’ve spent hours selling off the junk vehicles, burning what I could and salvaging any aluminum, copper and scrap metal I could but there is still much that needs to go “bye-bye” for most buyers to want it. The realtor got a bid to make it all pretty again at the price of $35,000! I was thinking maybe $10 or $20K but what do I know? What it is, is what it is, right?

When the place is sold, and after all of the fees (including $35K for cleanup), monies will be divided between four siblings. If they weren’t my brothers, I would bill them for the cleanup out of their portion. Right now I’ve got a counter offer in to someone who is interested in the property “as is”. I’m thinking I’ll go with it. Either way, the property would have brought more without the trash.

Here are some of my favorite resources...

So the moral of the story is, “When you see something free, if you don’t need it, it isn’t free”.


No comments:

Post a Comment